Turtle Soup for the Holidays
One of the first blogs I found when I started SCD was Beth’s blog. She did SCD for her daughter Amy who suffered from Crohn’s disease. Beth always had the best recipes! Every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas I make her stuffing and pumpkin pie. I’ve never felt deprived at the holidays and even people who didn’t eat SCD loved the food.
She wrote a cookbook that is now available in print – The Turtle Soup SCD Cookbook. While it would make a great Christmas present, I would suggest buying it beforehand to enjoy the stuffing and pumpkin pie.
For anyone wondering what I eat for holiday dinners, here’s my go-to list:
- Beth’s stuffing recipe
- Roasted turkey (in a covered pan, stuffed, no extra prep)
- Sweet potato and apple casserole (sub butternut squash if you’re on SCD)
- Steamed carrots smothered in butter
- Steamed green beans smothered in butter
- Homemade cranberry sauce (cranberries, honey)
- Homemade gravy (pan drippings + broth + onions, mushrooms, thyme)
- Beth’s pumpkin pie
- Whipped cream (can be made SCD)
Beth’s recipe book is great for everyday food and meals. It’s not a holiday recipe book, she just happens to have the best stuffing and pumpkin pie!