I always keep a todo list (or 2 or 3) around of ideas I have of treats to make or foods to try. Lately my lists have been multiplying, one reason being that I haven’t had enough time to make everything but also that I have had a lot of inspiration from blogs, the Yahoo groups and Twitter friends. I have also realized lately that there are many SCD staples that I haven’t even tried making and I feel like I should give them a fair shot. Here is my current list of SCD foods I want to make:
- Crackers – Whenever I make my liver pate, I eat it on slices of cheese. I really shouldn’t be eating that much cheese so it would be nice to have something else to put the pate on. Most SCD cracker recipes contain some cheese but at least it’s not as much as I’m having now.
- Meatza – I made an SCD pizza but was overwhelmed by how heavy the dough was. I ate the tiniest piece and was stuffed to the point where I felt like I had to lie down. Too much almond flour! I also don’t like that pizzas have very little meat, just some as toppings. So a meatza, where the crust is made of meat, sounds much better. Then I can just throw on some pizza sauce and any veggies/cheese I want without worrying about not getting enough protein.
- Butternut Squash Fries – Sigh all that chopping makes me tired just thinking about it. So much easier to toss a squash in a slow cooker and leave it on for a few hours. But, I am determined to try these.
- Smoothie – 2 years 3 months on this diet and I have yet to make a smoothie. I own a blender. I make yogurt. I always have berries around. Time to put them together!
- Ketchup – To be honest, I have made ketchup twice and both were failures. I didn’t follow recipes. I think I should just find a recipe and do it properly.
- BBQ Sauce – Never made some because they always depend on ketchup as a major ingredient. I’d like to do one from scratch, so I’ll try ketchup first and then modify that into a BBQ sauce from scratch recipe.
- Stuffed Anything – Stuffed peppers, stuffed tomatoes, stuffed meat rolls..
- Bread – I have made muffins, brownies, pizza, and cakes but never bread.
- Hamburger Buns – Hoping I can use the bread for this instead of doing a separate recipe. I eat hamburger patties with condiments but it would be nice to have at least a half a bun.
- Caremelized Onions – I actually made these once in the slow cooker and forgot about it until they turned black. I had to throw them out. Oops.
- French Onion Soup – Once I have bread and caremelized onions, this should be as easy as taking out some beef stock, reheating and shredding some cheese.
- Pemmican – Shelf stable beef meat & fat. This would be the ultimate SCD travel food.
If anyone has a ‘favorite’ recipe for any of these foods let me know! It’s always nice to make a recipe that has already been taste-tested. Also if anyone has made anything like these recently, feel free to share your experiences.